How Does Gastric Bypass Promote Weight Loss?
This allows for decreased calorie intake and absorption. Additionally, the food digests more quickly. The bypass leads to changes in the gut chemistry which can improve the feeling of satiety, and hunger as well as glucose (sugar) control. These effects work together to not help patients lose weight, but also cure obesity-related medical problems such as diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, elevated cholesterol, fatty liver, infertility, and a significant reduction in the risk of cancer.
Gastric Bypass Pros & Cons
- Mortality < 0.2%, major complication <5%
- Long-term weight loss
- Treatment for acid reflux
- Elimination of obesity-related diseases
- Risk of some vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Risk of gallstones
- Risk of ulcers if taking NSAIDs or smoking
- Bowel obstruction
- Dumping syndrome